Sunday, August 21, 2011

Who will help me carry him?

The movie Gladiator that released in the year 2000 had quite a few good dialogues. However, the sequences of dialogues towards the end of the movie always makes me emotional.  
After a fight between Maximus the main protagonist of the movie and Commodus the emperor of Rome, where both men die, the following dialogues follow.

Lucilla: Is Rome worth one good man's life? We believed it once. Make us believe it again. He was a soldier of Rome. Honor him.
Gracchus: Who will help me carry him?
[Gladiators surround the body of Maximus and carry him out of the arena]

The dialogue  Who will help me carry him?” reminds me of the times I have had to carry a few men in my family to their final resting place. It is definitely not a good feeling. In the last 5 years, this has happened quite a few times already.
  • Charles Dias, My Dad, 2006
  • Victor Fernandes, My Uncle, 2007
  • Eric Sequeira, My Cousin’s Husband, 2010
  • Philip Dias, My Uncle, 2010

I can just say "May Their Souls Rest In Peace".

No comments: